Which Tumi Luggage Should You Get?
If luggage brands were celebrities, Tumi would undoubtedly be on the A-list. Widely considered to be one of the leading luxury travel status brands, Tumi luggage offers outstanding craftsmanship and functional charm that exceeds many of its competitors. Founded in 1975, the U.S. based Tumi got its start by designing a line of innovative black-on-black ballistic nylon bags. Today, Tumi offers a wide range of luggage options, from high-end carry-on and checked bags to sleek duffels and functional backpacks. Tumi products are designed in the U.S. and all products undergo extensive quality-control trials, so you can rest (and travel) assured you’re buying a quality piece. When it comes to status luggage that doesn’t skimp on function and durability, frequent fliers and celebs depend on Tumi.
Pros of Tumi Luggage
- All Tumi products are put through a combination of 30 unique tests to ensure their superiority.
- “Cool kid status” bags are beloved by both business travelers and the hip crowd for their simple-yet-chic designs.
- Array of cutting-edge features like FXT ballistic fabric, a patented closure system, and the X-Brace 45 Handle System, an innovative aluminum handle
Cons of Tumi Luggage
- Sophistication and status come at a price: Tumi products certainly aren’t cheap, even when they’re on sale.
- Though the polycarbonate material is supposedly scratch-resistant, some reviewers note that their luggage is easily scuffed.
- Some bags have a fairly limited range of colors from which to choose.
Tumi Style Overview
If you’re shopping Tumi, know that the brand is on par with fashion heavyweights like Louis Vuitton. Tumi is an iconic luggage brand for a reason; the bags are splurge-worthy investment pieces that are equal parts sumptuous quality and high grade function—but without the obvious branding and splashy logo found on most high fashion luggage. Tumi is more subtle than showy. Luggage is available in ballistic nylon, sturdy hardside, or fine leather, and bags come in vibrant shades of silver, cobalt blue, ember, olive green, matte black, and fun patterns. Plus, the brand offers complimentary monogramming and purchasable accent kits if you want to curate a more personalized look.
Which Tumi Luggage Should I Get?
The 3 Best Tumi Suitcases and Backpacks
The V3 International 22-Inch Expandable Wheeled Carry-On Review
The V3 International 22-Inch Expandable Wheeled Carry-On is undoubtedly one of the most popular pieces in the Tumi collection. When it comes to carry-on luggage, effortless mobility is key. It glides along on four easy-to-maneuver recessed dual wheels and the impact-resistant X-Brace 45 telescoping handle system is perfection, so you'll have no trouble guiding it through airport lounges and tightly packed plane aisles. Crafted from hardy, multilayered polycarbonate, the V3 International features relatively spacious storage in the form of three interior zip pockets, tie-down straps, and a hanger bracket. Plus it has a zip-around closure with an integrated TSA lock for extra security if you decide to check it.
- Dimensions: 22 x 14 x 9 inches
- Weight: 6.4 pounds
- Primary materials: polycarbonate
- Available Colors: mink, African floral, sunset
The Alpha 2 Medium Trip Expandable Suitcase Review
No shame if you’re a heavy packer. You don't need fewer outfit options, you just need the right bag, and the Tumi Alpha 2 Medium Trip Expandable Suitcase is it. If you’re searching for the perfect roomy-sized suitcase for longer vacations, the Alpha 1 has enough space to fit two weeks’ worth of clothing and shoes. The bag’s ample interior features a removable reinforced garment section, zip pockets, hanger bracket, passport pocket, mesh zip pocket, and compression straps, while the exterior has a front U-Zip pocket and additional front zip pocket. (Whew!) Travelers will be relieved to know that guiding the Alpha 2 through crowded airports is a total breeze, thanks to the three-stage telescoping handle system and recessed swivel wheels. Made from sturdy ballistic nylon and available in two classic colors, the Alpha 2 is the perfect large suitcase for travelers who don't believe in traveling light.
- Dimensions: 13 x 20.1 x 28.9 inches
- Weight: 14.5 pounds
- Primary materials: ballistic nylon
- Available colors: black and pewter
The Voyageur Carson Backpack Review
The Voyageur Carson Backpack is a sensible fashionista’s dream bag. We’d call this high-quality backpack “smart style” since it’s a truly winning combo of looks and practicality. The Carson is big enough to fit a 15-inch laptop, a change of clothes, snacks, and other in-flight essentials (sheet masks and face mist, anyone?). It also has a water-resistant water bottle pocket and magnetic-snap phone pocket, which allows for easy access. The best part? It's designed to securely fit over the handle of a rolling suitcase, making it easy to carry on and off your back. Be prepared; you’ll probably get tons of compliments during your flight when you sport the Carson Backpack.
- Dimensions: 12.2 x 5.5 x 16.9 inches
- Weight: 2.89 pounds
- Primary materials: nylon
- Available colors: black, silver, gobi, mink, sunset, ultramarine
- How to Pack Like a Minimalist, According to the Marie Kondo Method
- Here are the Baggage Fees and Weight Limits for the Top 50 Airlines