- 1 Best Affordable Carry-On Suitcase
- 2 Best Affordable Spinner Suitcase
- 3 Best Affordable Checked-Luggage Suitcase
- 4 Best Affordable Weekender
- 5 Best Affordable Duffel
- 6 Best Affordable Backpack
- 7 Best Affordable Messenger Bag
- 8 Best Affordable Travel Pack
- 9 Best Affordable Garment Bag
- 10 Best Affordable Satchel
- 11 Best Affordable Dopp Kit
Best Affordable Luggage Picks in Every Category for Budget-Conscious Travelers
Traveling already costs more than enough. (Curse you, in-flight Wi-Fi charges!) But choosing affordable luggage can help you trim your budget and leave you with extra cash for that hotel room upgrade or perfect souvenir. While some budget bags might lack bells and whistles—like luxurious fabrics and meticulously engineered handles—you might be surprised by how dependable and downright chic more affordable options can be. Whether you need a checked or carry-on suitcase, a backpack or duffle, a messenger or weekend bag, a travel pack or a dopp kit, we can help. Listed below are picks representing the 11 common luggage categories at prices that won’t make your palms sweat.
Best Affordable Carry-On Suitcase
Samsonite Wheeled Underseater
If you play it right, a carry-on suitcase can be your go-to luggage even for longer trips. We insist on a bag that’s be easy to walk (or sprint) with and spacious enough to hold necessities and impulse buys alike. Soft-side options, like Samsonite's Wheeled Underseater, have more flexible capacity. This one also touts a removable, hanging organizer pouch, and one Amazon reviewer claims it fits enough for two-week jaunts. Moreover, it fits underneath the seat in most planes and overhead in smaller cabins.
- Exterior dimensions: 13 x 13 x 6.5 inches
- Weight: 5.07 lbs.
- Primary material: Poly/nylon Blend
- Available colors: Black, Deep Teal, Fresh Pink, Purple Cloud
Best Affordable Spinner Suitcase
Travelpro Maxlite 5 Lightweight Expandable Suitcase
Favored by flight crews, this brand is shockingly well-priced for what it offers. Namely: four-wheel spinners that rotate 360 degrees for smooth rolling across the parking lot and around the airport. A super-lightweight handle with rubberized touchpoints for extra grip also make this water-resistant, soft-sided suitcase a frontrunner when it comes to maneuverability.
- Exterior dimensions: 27 x 18.5 x 11.5 inches
- Weight: 7.3 lbs.
- Primary material: Poly/nylon blend
- Available colors: Black, Dusty Rose, Azure Blue, Slate Green, Mocha (Brown)
Best Affordable Checked-Luggage Suitcase
DELSEY Paris Helium Aero Hard-Side Luggage
French brand Delsey has sophistication in spades, but without the outrageous price point of luxury luggage lines. Their large Helium Aero features a tough polycarbonate shell that stands up to in-transit jostling, and two fully lined, expandable compartments for tucking away any delicate purchases. The glossy metallic veneer will catch eyes (including yours, as your suitcase rounds the luggage carousel) and double spinner wheels add to its overall value.
- Exterior dimensions: 29 x 19.5 x 12.5 inches
- Weight: 12.54 lbs.
- Primary material: Polycarbonate
- Available colors: Brushed Charcoal, Cobalt Blue, Titanium Silver, Black, Peony Pink, Teal, Blue Textured, Brick Red, Plum Purple
Best Affordable Weekender
Large L.L. Bean Boat and Tote, Zip-Top
We'll admit it, the Boat and Tote isn't the most exciting or flashy. But its large size, sturdy 24-ounce canvas construction make it an ideal weekend-getaway bag. (There’s a reason L.L. Bean has been crafting these since 1944!) The indestructible zipper will keep your clothes, books, and beach towel protected. And if that all sounds too practical, add a cheeky monogram or opt for stripes in one of the brighter available colors, like Reef Coral or Pool Blue.
- Exterior dimensions: 15 x 17 x 7 inches
- Weight: 1.11 lbs.
- Primary material: Cotton canvas
- Available colors: Alpine Gold, Aqua, Black, Blue, Dark Green, Fern Green, Fossil Brown, Marine Blue, Pool Blue, Red, Reef Coral, Regatta Blue
Best Affordable Duffel
Eagle Creek Packable Duffel
Perennial favorite brand Eagle Creek stands out for producing good-looking luggage topped off with little features you never knew you needed. This minimalist duffel, for example, offers locking zippers and a U-shaped opening for easy dump-and-go packing. The brand's lifetime guarantee offers extra peace of mind, as does the bag's foldability and 40-liter capacity. Use it as a personal item in addition to your carry-on, or pack it into your checked-bag for just-in-case scenarios on the road.
- Exterior dimensions: 22 x 12 x 12 inches
- Weight: 8 oz.
- Primary material: 70D Heathered Nylon
- Available colors: Black, Blue Sea, Tan
Best Affordable Backpack
Lightweight Foldable Backpack by Bago
While it may not be much of a looker, Bago’s backpack has load of attractive design features such as water resistance, pockets galore, and two-way corded zippers. It doesn't hurt that the price tag is around twenty bucks, or that the bag weighs less than a pound. Despite its convenient compartments, including two water bottle pockets, the bag also folds up into a compact pouch to tuck into your suitcase—handy for day trips during your travels and for when you overdo it at the artisan market.
- Exterior dimensions: 16.5 x 7.1 x 11.8 inches (25 L)
- Weight: 0.7 lbs.
- Primary material: Honeycomb Polyester fabric
- Available colors: Black, Deep Blue, Pink
Best Affordable Messenger Bag
Sweetbriar Classic Messenger Bag
This vintage-style messenger bag has been winning raves on Amazon—the vast majority of its 1,000 reviewers gave it five stars. That enthusiasm seems warranted given the bag's soft canvas construction, array of roomy pockets; adjustable, padded shoulder strap—oh, and its $23 price tag. The front pocket has a Velcro closure and the bag itself lacks any padding, but for the price and roominess factor (it fits a 15.6-inch laptop), this messenger is a steal.
- Exterior dimensions: 17.5 x 12 x 5 inches
- Weight: 1.2 lbs.
- Primary material: Cotton canvas
- Available colors: Black, Blue, Army Green, Olive Drab, Tan, Washed Brown, Washed Gray
Best Affordable Travel Pack
Mardingtop 50L Hiking Backpack
It might be counterintuitive, but the lack of visible branding on Mardingtop's hiking pack caught our eye. It also touts handy features like a rain cover, internal and external lid pockets, and a large zippered front opening for easy access to the primary compartment. One reviewer claims to have toted this pack on a 20-mile hike, with "way more weight than it should have had and nothing broke," which we'll take as a good sign. Still, keep in mind that packs at this price point aren't as lightweight, comfortable on the shoulders, or durable as some of the better-known (and pricier) brands. If your budget can extend above $100, a good value for the money is the Osprey Packs Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack.
- Exterior dimensions: 13 x 9.4 x 29.9 inches
- Weight: 4.49lbs.
- Primary material: Polyester
- Available colors: Army Green, Black
Best Affordable Garment Bag
Zegur Suit Carry-On Garment Bag
While it’s not dirt cheap, Zegur's garment bag is a great value, especially considering all it offers. Inside, you'll find many zippered pockets for storing things like ties, shoes and toiletries, while the front pocket provides space for electronics or magazines—all in addition to the bag's three-suit (or dress) storage capacity. The brand offers a 100-percent money-back guarantee and, perhaps most important, the interior dual-buckle holds garments tight, preventing wrinkles and creases en route.
- Exterior dimensions: 23 x 4 x 22 inches when folded (43 x 22 x 4 inches when open)
- Weight: 2.87 lbs.
- Primary material: 1800D Polyester
- Available colors: Black
Best Affordable Satchel
London Fog Camilla Triple Satchel
You'll be sacrificing real leather, but apart from that, this classically designed satchel matches up to pricier options. Made by London Fog, a brand established in 1923 (and known for its dependable trench coats), the Camilla Triple Satchel features two large zippered compartments, graceful top handles and a shoulder strap, and a rich cognac hue that together amount to an elegant addition to your luggage.
- Exterior dimensions: L 15 x H 10 x W 6 inches
- Primary material: Polyurethane
- Available colors: Cognac
Best Affordable Dopp Kit
Mossio Hanging Toiletry Bag
Don't underestimate a great dopp kit. Having one means no more rifling through pockets and Ziploc bags for your toothbrush and moisturizer (not that we know how that feels). This kit by Mossio is adorable, sure, but it's also practical, with an attached hook that lets you hang the kit on a towel rack or shower rod. And it's streamlined yet roomy, with large exterior pockets in addition to lined interior compartments, so you'll find what you need fast, whether the kit is unzipped or closed. All this means getting to bed or out the door faster, which equals a less frustrating trip overall.
- Exterior dimensions: 9.45 L x 7.48 W x 3.74 H inches
- Primary material: Polyester
- Available colors: Beige, Blue Flowers, Cactus, Dark Blue, Dark Gray Flower, Green Leaves, Light Gray Flower, Light Pink, Navy Star, Pink Leopard, Pink Striped, Polka Dot, Sky Blue, White Baroque, White Cactus
All products have been hand-picked by our writers and editors. Items purchased through links may earn us a commission.