Kate Hudson’s Iconic Travel Style—and How to Recreate It for Yourself
Kate Hudson is Hollywood's golden girl. You've probably noticed her smiling face on endless fashion magazine covers, laughed at her expert comedic timing in romantic comedies, and ordered Fabletics leggings to look as cute as she does on a yoga mat. The New York Times best-selling author and Golden Globe-winning mother of three has also entered the eco-friendly fashion business with the launch of her stylish clothing line, Happy x Nature. It's an impressive list of accomplishments, made all the more enviable by the fact that Kate does it all while crisscrossing the globe in a seemingly effortless style best summed up as a cross between Coachella and the red carpet. Want to emulate her iconic boho-chic travel style? So do we.
Where Does Kate Hudson Travel?
We’re assuming that Kate Hudson needs extra pages in her passport. She grew up traveling the world with her ultra-famous parents, actress Goldie Hawn and actor Kurt Russell, and got very comfortable being both on the road and on an international film set. These days, girls’ trips with her mom to Hawaii are a regular envy-inducing occurrence. When Kate’s not traveling internationally to promote her books, movies, and fashion lines—or jetting off to Kyoto with her partner, Danny Fujikawa—she keeps it local at her estate in the Pacific Palisades. She’s regularly photographed living the Hollywood dream: on the beach, at Coachella, and enjoying dinner at the iconic Mr. Chow in Beverly Hills. Having a family of her own did little to slow Kate down. She splits some of her time between Los Angeles and London (where the British rock star father of her second son lives). In 2019, she gave birth to her first daughter (Kate’s also the mom to a teenaged son) and celebrated with a babymoon in Greece and a post-birth trip to Capri where she attended a dinner party hosted by fashion power house Bvlgari. To top it off, she’s currently in New Orleans (with the whole family) to film her upcoming movie, Mona Lisa & The Blood Moon.
Kate Hudson’s Travel Style
Kate turned 40 this year, and she’s been in the limelight since her Oscar-nominated breakout role at age 20 as Penny Lane in Almost Famous. For the past two decades, she’s been photographed almost everywhere she goes and her face has graced over 35 magazine covers. All that to say, she’s spent a whole lot of time being styled by some of the best and she’s obviously picked up some tips. In fact, Kate spent a day shadowing Anna Wintour at Vogue to prepare for her role as a magazine writer in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Kate’s style is California cool at its finest. She’s often spotted around town and at the beach in matching leggings and crop tops, usually from her Fabletics line. Her fashion profile has evolved from 2000-era denim cutoffs and Western wear to easy prairie-inspired maxi dresses and relaxed denim with peasant tops. That’s not to say Kate doesn’t glam up for red carpet events and fashion shows. Kate’s been dressed by iconic fashion houses like Valentino, Versace, and Missoni—and she’s no stranger to a best-dressed list. Her signature blond locks (which she famously shaved off for a movie role in 2017) and tan toned bod are part of Kate’s California package, as is her radiant smile. Actually, her eco-friendly fashion line, Happy x Nature, was inspired by her sunny personality. Kate projects California sunshine and laughter wherever she goes—and she goes everywhere. You might say she got it from her mama.
Three Words to Describe Kate Hudson’s Travel Style
- Boho-Chic. It probably has a lot to do with playing a glamorous rockstar groupie as her most famous role—or maybe it’s Kate’s upbringing by one of the world’s favorite ’70s actresses, but Kate took boho-chic fashion and made it a signature. Bohemian and hippie influences are a major part of her wardrobe. Prairie dresses with flouncy skirts, Western-inspired boots, and felt hats are signature Kate moves. Fringe, anyone? A white color palette looks grown-up, but laid-back—just like the star herself. She even rocked bohemian-inspired Valentino at the Golden Globes.
- California Casual. Kate is California’s it girl for two decades running. And she brings a slice of the Californian life wherever she goes. That means she’s not afraid of a bathing suit and she rocks a bikini any chance she gets. She’s known to keep it casual in bold yellows, bright reds, and cool blues. Even when she’s on the red carpet looking over-the-top glamorous and stunning in plunging necklines, she still has that friendly and approachable California vibe that only comes from growing up on the beach (and in front of a camera). Hollywood friends like Gwyneth Paltrow and Jennifer Aniston also add to Kate’s California aesthetic. Each of these ladies is known Hollywood royalty, with a coveted style profile that screams, “second home in Malibu.”
- Athleisure. With the launch of Fabletics in 2013, Kate redefined athleisure. “Break a sweat every day,” is one of her mantras and her Insta stories regularly feature Pilates, Soul Cycle, and yoga beach sessions while wearing matching crop tops and leggings in bright colors and bold patterns. Kate also signed on as a Weight Watcher’s spokesperson to lose her baby weight after the birth of her daughter. Luckily, leggings and chasing kids go hand-in-hand and Kate makes it look chic.
Three Fabrics, Colors, and Patterns that Kate Hudson Rocks
- Denim. Kate loves jeans—she wears them about as often as she wears leggings (see above). America’s favorite denim material features heavily in her clothing line, Happy x Nature. Kate rocks a full denim-on-denim look with a light washed jacket and matching relaxed fit jeans, paired with ankle booties. An oversized denim jacket with a frayed hem (ahem, boho-chic) toughens up her bright yellow tiered maxi dress in another look we love. Or how about pairing a pair of wide-leg denim pants with a dressy Victorian-style top? Yes, please. Kate dresses up a fashionable pair of tie-top jeans with heels on a bike for this fun photo shoot. And, as a mom on-the-go, we’re sure she has more than one go-to pair of jeans in her closet.
- Floral prints. Sure, Kate’s laid-back but she’s also all girl. She loves to play up her softer side with floral prints, especially when she’s on a romantic trip with the man in her life. Check out the dramatically beautiful floral number she wore on a trip to Capri with her current partner, Danny Fujikawa. And this cold-shoulder floral dress, paired with a floppy hat of course, looks effortlessly elegant on an Italian terrace. Check out her bold black-and-red floral maxi dress from the Happy x Nature line, and try not to order it for yourself.
- Yellow. Kate was born in the California sunshine and is naturally drawn to yellow. She says, “I’ve always loved yellow because it’s such a happy color. In color therapy, it’s our power center—the color of the sun, and the sun is what makes everything grow. I’m attracted to that energy, so I love to wear jewelry that has suns on it too.” How sweet is that? She famously wore a bright yellow maternity dress for the premiere of Something Borrowed. Kate’s clothing line features the sunny hue, too, in this deep-v tiered top and matching ruffled dress; lemon yellow organic tank top; and yellow utility shorts with six pockets. Let the sunshine in.
How to Replicate Kate Hudson’s Travel Style in Three Outfits
How to Dress Like Kate Hudson Working Out
Kate Hudson’s workout wear is goals. After all, she co-founded Fabletics, an entire line of social media-worthy leggings, tanks, tops, sports bras, and shoes that were designed to perform and turns heads. Both her personal Instagram page and the Fabletics Instagram page are loaded with Kate showing off the brand (and her fit body, pre-, during, and post-pregnancy by the way). One of the best parts of Kate’s workout style is her bold use of color. You can easily replicate it. This pair of rose-colored leggings pairs beautifully with a burgundy sports bra and zip-up top. Don’t forget to add coordinated shoes and a fun water bottle. The Aries print is for Kate’s sun sign, but you should obviously choose your own zodiac.
Kate Hudson’s Workout Outfit
How to Dress Like Kate Hudson Sightseeing
When Kate’s on the go, she looks good. And these days, she loves to show off her latest fashion venture: Happy x Nature. The boho-chic and ready-to-wear line is pure Kate. No wonder she models many of the outfits. For sightseeing, the Ambrosia dress is it. The long-sleeved white vision features cutout insets and a ruffled hem for feminine detailing that looks feminine, but not fussy. Do like Kate does and add an oversize denim jacket if the temperatures drop. Aviators (Kate’s been snapped wearing this exact pair in New York), a boho-inspired leather bag, and wood sandals look good on every continent.
Kate Hudson’s Sightseeing Outfit
How to Dress Like Kate Hudson on a Night Out
Kate Hudson’s Date Night Outfit
Three Kate Hudson-Inspired Accessories to Amp Up Any Outfit
- Reese Witherspoon’s Iconic Travel Style—And How to Recreate It For Yourself
- How to Shop For Your Next Trip Using Fabletics
All products have been hand-picked by our writers and editors. Items purchased through links may earn us a commission.